Jun 2, 2009

AMAZING!!!!

I know a lot of people think running/walking a marathon is something beyond the reach of imagination, but I am here to tell you with the proper training anyone can do it. It doesn't matter how fast or how slow you are, once you cross that finish line...the feeling is beyond belief. It's not only personal accomplishment but a test of your own personal endurance. This season with Team in Training has been one of my favorites. I looked forward to each Saturday with the team. I met amazing people who had such interesting lives and the best thing they were willing to share their story with a stranger like me. Always our conservations started like this.

Them: So Bucket how long have you been with the team?
Me: I joined the team in January of 2006.
Them: Oh wow so you must be a pro at this marathon stuff.
Me: HELL NO! I am a fake marathoner..hahah
Them: hahah lol... you are too funny.
Me: So why did you join?
Them..usually the answer is something like this Because my father/mother/son/daughter/best friend is a survivor or it could be they lost a loved one to this thing we call cancer.
Me.. I would get really quiet, stop and give them a big hug and tell them I am proud of them for what they are doing. I can't explain it, it's a big thing to do a marathon, but to do it in some one's memory/honor that makes me cry.

This Sunday was San Diego's Rock n Roll marathon, as I stood out there cheering people on I got very emotional. I watched people smile, I watched them cry, I watched them hold hands and pull each other along. I stood out there giving out Red Vines and Gold Fish crackers. People walked up to me and asked "is it OK if I get one even though I am not part of the team?" I looked at them smiled and said OF COURSE! One lady called me her angel, I laughed. She was so hungry and the gold fish were heaven to her.

This was my first year being part of the cheering committee and OMG it was just amazing. Here I have seen these people go from 0 to 12 to 20 miles in a matter of months, and now they are going all the way with their half and full marathons. AMAZING!!

Last night my sister asked me, "So when are you going to stop running marathons?" Now why would I ever want to stop? BTW, in case your wondering why did I start running marathons? Honestly I was bored and I wanted to do something, but not just something, something meaningful, something that would change my life forever..and I think I found my calling.

If you have time, check out the slide show. These pictures here are of my amazing teammates!





San Diego RNR Marathon 2009




This Sunday I have a small run coming up. Me and my friend Sue are doing the Camp Pendleton Mud Run! I even have an outfit all picked out, APRIL don't laugh.

My outfit for Sunday

The t-shirt says "Solider in a volunteer army". On the back is the Team in Training logo. So still I am still representing the team. =)

I'm still training, I'll be in Seattle at the end of this month for the Inaugural Seattle Rock n Roll Marathon. I am so excited!

On the scrapbooking side, I haven't had time to do anything. I am resting this week so I hope to scrap a few photos from this weekend. Think I may even do a mini book... =) Cough Cough.. I feel a sick day coming on.

No comments: