Jun 10, 2009

$2.25

Today was one of those days where I was in deep thought all day long. Our organization is going through a restructure/reorganization whatever you want to call it they are looking at people jobs looking at where to cut the slack. It’s been all over the news the UC system is in a budget crunch. Last Friday our Development department had their reorganization and ours is set to come. Besides the reorganization we are looking at a 7% pay decrease and 16 furlough days. I always try to put on a happy face, but today at lunch it was all my co-workers could talk about and it made the stress that much more. I can deal with a reorg, but the pay decrease and the 16 furlough days that I am not to sure about. I told my co-workers honestly I don’t want to hear rumors; I just want to hear the facts. What is going to happen? Do I have a job? It’s all a bit stressful.

On my way home I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner. The woman in front of me was only buying a few things, 2 bags of chips and some hot wings she had gotten from the hot kitchen in the back of the store. She asked the clerk to only ring up the chips first because she wasn’t sure if she had enough money on her debit card. It was one of those debit cards given to people on food stamps. She kept contemplating on what to do? Go back to the kitchen and ask them to remove a few hot wings what to do, she was hungry. I looked in my wallet; I had the money, why not just buy her hot wings for her. I took out a $5 and said here take it buy your hot wings. She looked at me in tears, Really? I said Yes Really please take it. I gave the clerk the $5 and her total was $2.25. I thought of it this way, I buy junk, I like to spend money, why even think about its just do it. She was very thankful and then she went on her way. I have to admit I don’t normally do this. NEVER, but something about her I don’t know what it was. I don’t know why she is on food stamps, I don’t know why she chose to buy 2 bags of chips over the hot wings I didn’t care, after the shitty day I was having I wanted to make someone else happy. It’s what I do, I am not prefect nor will I pretend to be but sometimes it’s the little things that make me happy. Doing this good deed..made me happy.

No comments: