May 12, 2008

Happy birthday to me.

Happy birthday to me.
Happy Happy 20 + 18 birthday to me.

Yeah don't laugh. I have issues, I know it. Why can't I just say I am 38? No.. I am 20+18. My sister asked me, so how does it feel to know you graduated High School 20 years ago. I was like it feels great, reminds me I better check and see if there is a reunion coming up.

I guess I don't feel 38, but what is 38 supposed to feel like?

How was your weekend? Mine was busy as usual.
Friday night, I went to bed early. I had a 20 mile run coming up and I knew I needed all my rest.
Saturday morning I am up at 4:30 am. I was excited, yes you read that right, to be running 20 miles. What was I thinking? What am I ever thinking?
This is what I was thinking and sing it with me.....
Up in the morning at the crack of dawn
Gonna take a little run, gonna do it just for fun.
This was my motivation song. Gonna do it just for fun.
I get to the park at 6:15am and it's only me and one participant, Rachel. I look at her and smile and say are you ready? She looks at me like I am crazy and says "NO" I smile back and say it will be easy, you have been training for this! Think good thoughts and you will be fine. Who am I trying to kid? I am nervous, I haven't done 20 miles in over 6 months, and yes I am nervous about this.
6:25 am.. oh goody now most of the team has arrived. Practice can start on time.
6:30 am.. GO TEAM! A few announcements and off we go.
6:40 am... HERE WE GO.
So you may wonder what happens during this training time? What do I do when I'm out there?
I have to say I am very fortunate. I have been very lucky to always have someone to either walk/run with. I hate doing long or for that short mileage alone. So off we go, me and my partner Susana (who by the way will be 60 this Friday! GO SUSANA!). As we start off we are talking about a business venture she wants to bring me in on. We talk about all the wonderful vacations she has taken and how much it cost. Can you believe she sold cruises to the Bahamas for $345! Yeah so of course I want to know more about this business ventures and what it's all about. Then we go on to talk about other things, especially the San Diego Marathon and all the fun we are going to have. Along each mile marker there is a band playing, and somewhere after mile 20 I hear there is a Margarita bar! *BIG CHEESY SMILE* There is also a headliner concert after the marathon (get this Pat Benatar will be the headliner!), so we were talking about attending. She was like I don't know if I will be OK to go afterwards. I was like Susana look at us now, we are at mile 15 and you and I are doing great. We can go! Speaking of which, at about mile 16 I was hitting the runners wall! I was ready to quit! She pushed me along and we kept on going. Actually I got a bit faster and started running more often. She was like look at you go! I was like come on you don't want to finish last do you? She laughed at me, I have issues about being the last person in. LOL.
11:22 am. Mark calls, are you almost done? I'm here waiting for you. See Mark isn't going to be at the marathon so I asked him to come over and watch me run in. It's a mini finish line at the 20 =) So he did. Yeah he is awesome!
11:50 am I crossed that finish line. I was so happy to see my love muffin. He asked me "Are you sure you did 20 miles?" only because I had a huge smile on my face. I just hugged him. He really is a great guy.

I can't wait, only 3 more weeks to go!

The rest of day was spent with my family. My dad had a Mexican mother's day celebration at our house. It was so nice to see my aunts and my cousins. I was so sore but I think all the moving around helped my muscles a bit. Then my sister Veronica came over and we had an early b-day cake for me.

Sunday - Happy birthday to me. I look in the mirror and go UGH then smile because I AM ALIVE. Healthy and alive.. honestly you can't ask for more then that. Seriously!
We went to church, yeah can you believe that! It's not something I normally do. I am catholic but not a church going catholic.. I have issues. LOL.. dang I sure do have a lot of issues huh. Plus it was a special occasion, my cousin Cris's oldest children were doing their first Holy Communion and Araxi was hired to take some pictures for them. I should have warned her in advance about the kids. This is my cousin who has 4 wild children. The kids are as cute as can be but are just very active. I know my cousin's family was very pleased, Araxi has a way with kids.
My mom kind of messed up the rest of my day, but that is OK. I got our communication mixed up somewhere along the lines- I call it selective listening on her part - and we didn't even up spending the rest of the together. I'm OK with it, as long as she did something happy for herself.
Me I ended up taking a nap with my boys on the sofa. We came home from church and laid down for a few minutes and ended up falling asleep. Mark even took pictures of us. Such a crack up. Then we got up and went out for some Sushi.

That was my weekend in a nutshell. It was really nice and the weather was awesome. So how was your mother's day?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That is just awesome that you can go that many miles. Runner's block??? Girl I would have been puking at that point! LOL Hope you had a good Mother's Day and birthday!!